Concerts for the 2017-2018 Season
- Saturday, October 7, 2017, 7:30 pmH.W. Smith School, 1130 Salt Springs Rd., SyracuseTakács QuartetConcert sponsored by Syracuse Sounds of Music Association (co-sponsor).Many of us have been eagerly awaiting the return of the Takács Quartet for its sixth performance for SFCM. The quartet is renowned for the vitality of its interpretations. The New York Times recently lauded the ensemble for "revealing the familiar as unfamiliar, making the most traditional of works feel radical once more," and the Financial Times described a concert at the Wigmore Hall: "Even in the most fiendish repertoire these players show no fear, injecting the music with a heady sense of freedom. At the same time, though, there is an uncompromising attention to detail: neither a note nor a bow-hair is out of place."
- Saturday, October 21, 2017, 7:30 pmH.W. Smith School, 1130 Salt Springs Rd., SyracuseTrio Con Brio CopenhagenSince the trio's founding in Vienna in 1999, its members have been exploring the piano trio repertoire with freshness and curiosity as well as with respect and reflection. The trio is in great international demand, with an intensive worldwide touring schedule. We loved their performance when they were here in 2013 and are excited to have them back. "The Trio con Brio Copenhagen clearly occupies a lofty perch in today's musical scene." (Washington Post)
- Saturday, November 18, 2017, 7:30 pmH.W. Smith School, 1130 Salt Springs Rd., SyracuseAmerican Chamber PlayersThis outstanding ensemble has toured throughout North America, engaged and re-engaged by prestigious concert series from Florida to British Columbia, and they have traveled to Paris for a series of special gala concerts at the Paris Opera and the Bibliothèque Nationale. They have also been heard countless times on National Public Radio's Performance Today and on local radio stations throughout the United States. We welcome them back to our series with great pleasure.
- Saturday, February 3, 2018, 7:30 pmH.W. Smith School, 1130 Salt Springs Rd., SyracuseChamber ConcertosJohn Oberbrunner has planned another wonderful concert featuring Central New York musicians. This time the focus will be chamber concertos, including Bach's Double Violin Concerto, Shostakovich's Piano Concerto with trumpet solo, and Bloch's Suite Modale, for flute and strings.
- Saturday, March 17, 2018, 7:30 pmH.W. Smith School, 1130 Salt Springs Rd., SyracuseChiara String QuartetConcert sponsored by Dr. Elinor Spring-Mills and Dr. Darvin Varon.Renowned for bringing fresh excitement to traditional string quartet repertoire as well as for creating insightful interpretations of new music, the Chiara String Quartet captivates its audiences throughout the country. The Chiara has established itself as among America's most respected ensembles, lauded for its "highly virtuosic, edge-of-the-seat playing" (The Boston Globe). This will be their first performance for SFCM. Of note: the quartet performs most works from memory, so you will see them perform without music stands between audience and performers.
- Saturday, April 14, 2018, 7:30 pmH.W. Smith School, 1130 Salt Springs Rd., SyracuseImani WindsExtolled by the Washington Post as "exuding a sultry sophistication during performances," Imani Winds has established itself as one of the most successful chamber music ensembles in the United States. Since 1997, the Grammy-nominated quintet has taken a unique path, carving out a distinct presence in the classical music world with its dynamic playing, culturally diverse programming, adventurous collaborations, and inspirational outreach programs. With two member composers and a deep commitment to commissioning new work, the group is enriching the traditional wind quintet repertoire while meaningfully bridging European, American, African, and Latin American traditions. What a joy to be able to bring them to our concert series!
- Saturday, May 19, 2018, 7:30 pmH.W. Smith School, 1130 Salt Springs Rd., SyracuseMiró Quartet With Pianist Jon Kimura ParkerFormed in 1995, the Miró Quartet is consistently praised for its deeply musical interpretations, exciting performances, and thoughtful programming. Each season, the quartet performs throughout the world on the most important chamber music series and on the most prestigious concert stages, garnering accolades from critics and audiences alike. This will be its third appearance on the SFCM concert series; we love this quartet! They will perform music of Clara and Robert Schumann, and there is a bonus: internationally acclaimed virtuoso Jon Kimura Parker, a favorite with Central New York audiences, will join the group for a Brahms Piano Quintet.
Subscriptions for the 2017-18 season are now available. Get yours now.
Sponsor a concert
Get the details on sponsoring one of our 2017-18 concerts.
Advertise with us
Learn more about placing ads in our 2017-18 program booklet.
View the program
Download the Winter/Spring 2017 program book, which contains complete program notes for each concert.